Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Aloha 4/17/13

Aloha,

It is getting warmer, muggier and less breezy!  Here is hoping we can stay cool.  We might have to sit in the car all day with the air conditioner on!!!

Wednesday we studied and then made a quick trip to the swap meet to load up on gifts for birthdays, Mother's day and what nots'.



Thursday was our Temple day and I had the opportunity to escort a Sister Manu (Tongan) going through for her first time.   It was really a very sacred experience.  On the way home we stopped at Hauula Korean and got a bite to eat.  I usually have Kolbi beef and Sis. M usually gets a shrimp dish.  When we arrived home I received a call from my birthday cousin, Jim Rivord, about 8:15 pm.  (He lives in Virginia!)  I said, "Aloha"... and when he started talking, I knew right away it was my cousin.  I said, "Kinda late for you to be calling?"  He said, "Not Honolulu time!"  Of course, I did the normal thing.... I shrieked.... "You're here?"  We visited for awhile and made plans to meet.  About 9:30 pm, I called Jared and asked where they were. They were stuck in Honolulu traffic.  WELCOME to Hawaii.   He came with his wife Heather, her brother Casey and his wife Melonie until the 17th.  They are staying at the Marriot at Ko 'Olina not far from us.  He took two pillows and called me in the morning (tired!!).

Friday, we sat in on a discussion w/ Wayne, Paige and Jason.  Afterwards, we had our "break the fast" and dinner.  Jared and his group showed up and we got hugs and kisses and introduced them to many from the Tongan Branch and the Elders' (8) from the Makakilo Zone. They were impressed w/the love of the people.   Our group left about 8:45 pm.

Saturday, Jared's group did a session at the temple and attended the Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC).  Jared was hyped because he got to play the drums in the Tongan area and really got into it!    We could not get a hold of our RS President from Makaha and didn't do any visiting.   We did some grocery shopping and I made dessert for dinner w/ Jared's group on Sunday.  Matt sent me a couple of pictures.  London at her first soccer game and then the girls smiling and telling me they miss and love me.  OK.  Family!  Let's sent some pictures... hint... hint... Shane, Michelle, Kevin, and Jared.  I love you all and miss you. 

Jared and group attended the Waianae 2nd (Tongan Branch) Sacrament meeting and took a recording of them singing.  They have no piano and the chorister starts off and all join in.  I love their music. <Sorry, technical difficulties... Unable to post audio file. Suggestions anyone?>  Later that evening they all came for dinner... that's Jared, Heather, Casey and Melonie NOT the Tongan Branch!!!   Here is a picture of them sitting around the table eating and then a picture w/Jared, Heather and myself.  When they left we did a Mahalo shot w/ Jared and the M&M sisters'.  It was a fun visit and we found out all the activities they had been doing.  They love the lagoon by the hotel and Jared and Casey have gone snorkeling with the turtles and other ocean life.

Monday, Sis. McGiven had a hair cut.  She had to go to Waipahu and get a prescription and tires checked.  I cleaned the apartment and talked to my cousin and we planned to meet after 1pm.  Sis. M had to get a new tire because there was a nail in the side of the tire, but was on her way home.  I called my cousin, Jim.  (This is an aside!!!  They had their luau cancelled Fri & Sat because of rain and he was going to do a helicopter ride before coming to meet me for lunch, but... YOU guessed it ... CANCELLED too!!!)  So when I reached him they were already here and climbing up the Makakilo hill.  It took awhile before we were both on the same page. Finally, after many u-turns I met them at the Stake Center and they followed me to our apartment!  Thank goodness Sis. M showed up at that critical time.  We took some pictures and then had lunch at Chilis' and a nice catch up visit.  They headed off to the temple and the North Shore.  When my sister Diane was on her mission in North Carolina, Jim was also able to visit her.  Thank you, Cuz and Pat... I love you and it was great to see you. Thanks again for lunch.

Tuesday, we had District meeting in Waianae and car check up by Bro. and Sis. Elam... (cleanliness/ any dings, in other words..."are we taking good care of church property") Sis. Elam made biscuits w/butter and jam for everyone.   YUM.  After our opening exercises and announcements, we played "Jeopardy" and of course, I was on the losing team... again!  But fun and we learned a lot.  The topics were Book of Mormon/ The White Handbook/ Atonement Packet/ What do you know about the Makakilo Zone/ DaKine.   The Dakine was the hardest; such as, "how many mg's of salt is in a packet of ranch dressing from Taco Bell... I mean! get real.  After lunch we tried visiting families, but struck out.  We headed home and studied.  That evening, I took Sis. McGiven and Jared's group to dinner at "Outback."  They filled us in on all their activities for the day.  We had a free dessert to celebrate (early) Sis. McGiven's birthday on the 28th.  We said our goodbye's with hugs and kisses and headed for home.  It was so fun to have family members' come see where we work and get to meet the wonderful Tongan people.

We decided to have a spiritual thought each night before our evening prayer to bring our thoughts closer to Heavenly Father before we kneel down to pray.  I shared a thought from Elder Jeffrey Holland from April 1997 Missionary broadcast.   "The first thing you will do when an investigator tells you he or she has not read and prayed about the Book of Mormon is to be devastated... much of the time we are just too casual about all of this.  This is eternal life.  This is salvation of the children of God.  Eternity hangs in the balance... It is the most important path this investigator will ever walk.  But if he or she doesn't know that, at least you do!  So take control of this situation!   Teach with power and authority, and then be devastated if the first steps toward commandment-keeping and covenant-keeping have not successfully begun."

I know the Book of Mormon will answer questions for anyone willing to study and pray about this sacred record.  It contains the works and the gospel of Jesus Christ.  It is another testament of Jesus Christ.  May we all ponder and search this sacred book.

Until next week,
Mahalo,

Sister Morris

1 comment:

  1. I love to hear all of the news and it is so fun to see your children are coming to see you. I can't believe that you have been out in the field for 8 mons, it sure is flying by. Thanks for all of you stories. Love you, Cindy

    ReplyDelete