Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Aloha 4/24/13






Aloha,

It's catch up time, not ketchup time. 

On April 17th we studied most of the day and talked to Jared and Heather before they headed back to Utah.   It was so fun seeing them. 









We worked at the temple on Thursday from 11:45 until 4:45 and then grabbed a quick bite at Hale'iwa Joes.  Yummy food... what a find.  It is in old town (Hale'iwa).






On Friday, the 19th, we had a great cultural event.  Siale Totau graduated from BYU-Hawaii on the 13th.   The family held a big celebration in the Okinawa Center in Waiopio.  Besides LOUD Tongan music, food and a lot of people... the traditions were something that I enjoyed watching.  









We took a picture w/ Siale.  In another picture, she is w/ her mother and her father is by himself manning the music in his Tongan dress.   Many of her relatives traveled from Australia and Tonga to be at the celebration.  









They honor the oldest Auntie w/gifts (quilts, mats, basket, etc.)  and then other special relatives w/ much the same.  After the speakers celebrated her life... (this is a guess on my part because it was all in Tongan)... 




Siale dresses in her costume for dancing.  Her arms are slicked down w/ something sticky so as she dances when people come up and put money on her arms it sticks or they throw money to her.  



This is a way of honoring her big step as a college graduate and to show she is ready for her next big accomplishment.  She received her Family History and other special heirlooms. 







I like this picture of a money lei that someone made for her.  We left around 10 pm and it was still going strong.  It has been so neat to see what they do in the Tongan culture. 










We were up nice and early to attend the 10 am session at the temple w/ the Seniors.  We had a picture taken outside the temple w/ all of us who went that day.  Of course, our lunch was at the Kahuku grill where we enjoyed delicious food and visiting.

Sunday, we said good-bye to a lot of the extended Totau family.  They were able to come for a month and got to know many from our little Branch.

On Monday, we held a brunch at the Stake Center for our District.  Transfer time!!!  We lost two Elders (Dorny and Morgan) and gained 2 new Elders' (Shephard and Toone) and 2 new Sisters' (Millet and Grow).  We had "man cakes".  I had never heard of them.. Elder Ross' specialty.  Place the batter in the pan and before flipping them, you drop cooked bacon, sausage and chocolate chips and flip.  We had a large loaf of guava bread that we made French Toast w/ that was actually really good.

Monday was a BIG SUCCESSFUL surprise for Sister McGiven.  There were many that had a part in the success.  I personally, was ready to have a nervous breakdown!!!  Her daughter, Kelly came to surprise her from Arizona.  We used the Mission office secretary to email each of us....  "Please meet at the Mission office at 3:45 and 4:00 for interviews w/ the President."  Actually, we would be picking Kelly up!  So far so good!  Only Kelly, texts me her plane is delayed by 3 hours.  OK!  Called the MO and she sent out an email that the interviews would have to be postponed because the President was not going to make it back.  
This of course, excited Sis. McGiven because we wouldn't get stuck in traffic!!!  If only... Another text and Kelly is headed back to the jetway because of a mechanical  problem. I finally call her.  Let me know when you leave and just have your friend drop you off here.  So, about 6 pm, I told Sis M that the Elder's were dropping off something and could she answer the door because I wasn't feeling too good!!!  I wonder WHY!  I closed the door, put down our kitchen blind and turned on the outside light.  Finally, the knock that was heard around the world OR should I say... "KELLY.... WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?"  I just hope all the duplicity in stories are made up in happiness!  We visited and since she wasn't tired, but I was still wound up... she got out her Do terra oils and we set up our little cot and she gave us a massage. Wow!!!  I forgive her, I forgive her... except for the next morning when she had us lie on the cot and stretched us out... I didn't realize I was double jointed.  Ugh.

We had so much fun together.  We got a few pictures as we drove to the temple.  The sandy beach w/ what looks like a lighthouse, but is actually an old Catholic church.  Oh, so pretty.  Had a few pictures at the temple and coming home of the Dole pineapple building.  Took Kelly to the ?  Did you get the right answer?  The Kahuku Grill.  She loved it.  When we got back to the apartment, we tried to talk Sis Sue into going to Ko'Olina for a dip in the ocean.  I am glad I could at least offer my services.  It felt sooooo good.






When we left the beach and headed home we stopped at 3 different places looking for an eclair for Sue.  Her birthday favorite.  No luck.

Wednesday, we three scooted off to the swap meet and enjoyed a quick once around AND then they dropped me off at the airport for my trip to Las Vegas.   WHY?

1.  I need more money to finish out my mission???  or...
2.  A surgical repair. 

Stay tuned for the next installment.

To all those Mothers out there... I want to wish you all a special day on the 12th.    If you'd like to drop by, we will be speaking on Mother's Day in our Branch.  This was the latest billboard... "Do you need a new life-God accepts trade-ins."

Happy 93rd to my mom today on the 9th.  I will add more about her special day with her family.

Until, I find time for another update.

Mahalo,
Sister Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment