I
am going to see if I can finally catch up on my blog! I wanted to say
thank you family for having a work detail on the 4th for Mom's pre-birthday
celebration. You all did great and it was fun to hear from you.
On
the 8th, we had our District meeting in Waianae, but I was still jet lagging
and in pain so I stayed home. They had interviews w/ the President on
Tuesday the 7th while I was winging my way back to Oahu.
The
9th was my mother's 93rd birthday and visited w/ her on the phone. I am
inserting my talk that I gave on Mother's Day. Sis McGiven attended the temple
and that evening we attended the Tongan Branch "break the fast" and
listened to a Tongan brother from SLC discuss Family HIstory.
Friday,
I bit the dust and got my hair cut.
Saturday morning
we attended the Stake Seminary breakfast and graduation program. We had
two girls from the Tongan Branch graduating. Kesia Fifita and Solove
Naufahu. They are such cute girls.
Saturday afternoon I received a beautiful bouquet of red roses from Kevin for Mother's Day. I was wondering if I was going to get some flowers. He came through. Thank you, Bud.
At 5:30
pm we met the Sr. couples at Hale'iwa Joes for dinner. It was a fun
evening of dining and visiting. Home to finish up our talks.
Sunday,
on Mother's Day I was able to hear from all my children. Kevin... his family
had just left on a Disney cruise, Shane, Erika and Josh were having dinner w/ Erika.
Jared had just finished fixing a huge meal for Heather. The girls
weighed in late. Genise had her children down and Matt and London had
fixed dinner. Michelle was exhausted from a long day of work. I
love all my children and grand-children and the happiness they bring me.
My
Mother's Day didn't start off too great. I started getting a low grade
fever and then chills. I called the Elder's to give me a blessing before
church so I could give my talk. After the meetings, I went directly to
the car and waited for Sis McGiven to attend Sunday School and Relief
Society. The nice dinner I had planned got derailed. I came home and hit
the sack and have pretty much laid low all week.
I
am going to add my talk....
The
Importance of Mothers'
Are
We All Not Mothers'... some thoughts of Sheri Dew
What
happened in our Pre-mortal home? We were taught by Heavenly Father and
Heavenly Mother and then came into our second estate to be tried, tested and to
see if we would do all that we promised. Eve was called the Mother of All
Living. Just as worthy men were foreordained to hold the priesthood in
mortality, righteous women were endowed pre-mortally with the privilege of
motherhood.
Pres.
Hinckley stated, "God planted within women something divine. That
something is the gift and the gifts of motherhood." John A. Widstoe
commented on those that are never to be mothers here... "Women who through
no fault of their own cannot exercise the gift of motherhood directly, may do
so vicariously." Some of us, must simply find other ways to mother
and all around us are those who need to be loved and led.
In
Relief Society General Meeting on September 23, 1995, Pres. Gordon B Hinckley
issued to the women, "The Family: A Proclamation to the World."
AND then made this statement.... "You are the guardians of the hearth. You
are the bearers of the children. You are they who nurture them and
establish within them the habits of their lives. No other work reaches so
close to divinity as does the nurturing of the sons and daughters of God."
Satan has declared war on motherhood and the family. We are nurturers. From
Daughters in My Kingdom, page 156 it reads: "Nurture is a rich word.
It means to train, to teach, to educate, to foster development, to
promote growth, and to nourish or feed."
Sister
Julie B. Beck taught about the role of nurturing: "To nurture means
to cultivate, care for, and make grow. Therefore, mothers should create a
climate for spiritual and temporal growth in their homes. Another word
for nurturing is homemaking. Homemaking includes cooking, washing clothes
and dishes and keeping and orderly home. Home is where women have the
most power and influence; therefore, Latter-day Saint women should be the best
homemakers in the world. Working beside children in homemaking tasks
creates opportunities to teach and model qualities children should
emulate."
I
would like to tell about two special mothers' in my life. I lost this
special friend on January 7, 2013. When I went home in December 2012 for
my grandson's farewell, I was able to go to St George UT w/ my daughter Genise
and tell Lynn goodbye. She was such a stalwart mother, wife and friend.
As she battled cancer for 4 years... she remained faithful, strong and a
great example to all her children, grand-children and all those whom she called
friends. She showed us that no matter how hard the trial, YOU forge ahead
hanging onto that iron rod. To me she showed how to endure to the
end. Then I read my poem, My Friend, Lynn that can be found on my
blog dated 1/7/13.
The
other mother I would like to talk about is my mother.
She
just celebrated her 93rd birthday on May 9th. What did she do to
celebrate? She went fishing. She sat in a wheelchair, with oxygen
bottles and her daughter Diane and her son Lee helping her bait the hook and
take off the trout. She only has a little vision left in her right eye.
She was really catching those trout. Before she knew it she already
had her limit of 5, so her son let her catch his 5 and her daughter let her
catch one. She caught 11 trout. Talk about a fisher of men!!!
What
I remember most about my mother as I grew up were:
1. Learning to pray at her knee. She has
always had such tremendous faith.
2.
Her loving arms always ready to hug and encourage.
3.
Making each one of us feel special. There were 6 boys and 3 girls.
4.
When we did something bad we had to copy "The 23 Psalm"
5.
If we fought... we had to sit on the floor w/our arms around each
other... usually we ended up laughing
6.
Joining the LDS church in 1959 and being sealed in the SL temple in Oct.
1960.
7.
Having spiritual discussions after joining the church. It was like
a light bulb went on.
8.
She was my friend and supported me in all my school activities.
9.
She was my Seminary teacher for 3 years.
10.
She loved teaching and began in a 1 room school house.
11.
She loves writing poetry and still can recite many of her poems.
12.
She loves her family, get togethers and playing games; especially word games.
I
will close with a statement from Heber J. Grant.
"Motherhood
is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind.
It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels.
To you mothers in Israel we say God bless and protect you, and give you
strength and courage, the faith and knowledge, the holy love and consecration
to duty, that shall enable you to fill to the fullest measure the sacred calling
which is yours.
I
hope all you mothers enjoy your special day. Thank you, Sis Fifita for
our beautiful leis.
To
my daughters and daughter-in-laws, I love each of you and you are a joy to me
and our family. Love, Mom
Mahalo,
Sis
Morris


Wonderful! Sorry to hear you were sick on Mothers Day. I didn't know Grandma was a Seminary teacher. Hope your last few months are wonderful. Love you too. Get better!
ReplyDelete